Mary L. Mosby was born August 27, 1897 in Kentucky and Gertrude are sisters of L.L. Mosby.

Horace and Gertrude (Mosby) Bennett got married in 1907 when she was 16 years old. They built their home on the southeast corner of Ridge Road and Halifax Avenue in 1910.

Horace was a Volusia County Commissioner, but he died in 1943. He was hunting on a horse and a rattlesnake spooked his horse, going backwards, throwing him off and he died as a result.

Gertrude and Horace had two children, both boys. Horace Jr. and Breeze. Horace Jr. is a great pianist. Breeze married Pauline Edwards. They had a son and two daughters.

After Horace died, Gertrude married Percy Threlkeld; they lived in the same house on Ridge Road until both of their deaths.

The Threlkelds owned and operated a fertilizer house, selling to grove owners and they also had their own citrus groves.

They were great Christians and gave of their time and money generously, and will be greatly remembered. They were Baptists.

The Threlkeld home, built in 1900 is located on the corner of East Halifax and Ridge Road.

The Threlkeld home, built in 1900 is located on the corner of East Halifax and Ridge Road.

Horace Bennett was hired to run the grocery store while Mosby was in the service. Upon Mosby’s return to Oak Hill in 1918, he and Bennett built a large “dry goods” addition to the store. Since Bennett decided to go into the citrus business, Mosby’s brother-in-law, Van Buren Baldwin, was hired in 1919.

Mosby served as Postmaster for several years and became Justice of the Peace.

Oscar Dee Alderman and Estelle Hall were married January 4, 1917. Oscar was born December 17, 1898 in Lake Butler, Florida. Mamie Estelle was born February 27, 1896 in Pine Mountain, Florida – a small town outside of Live Oak, Florida. She became a schoolteacher and taught last at Belle, Florida.

Mamie met Oscar and the romance began. Oscar says laughingly that he was trapping the swamps and low-lying flats. He also was in the bullfrogs, the hunting of squirrels, etc. They made their plans to marry and Mamie laughingly tells that he kept making the date sooner and sooner, so she tells that she was wanting to go to Island Grove and try to get a better teaching job where one of her aunts lived. Oscar was very bitterly against it, saying he’d never see her, so they got married in Lake Butler, in 1921, they came first to Shiloh.

Mamie laughingly says she robbed the cradle, her being the oldest. Everywhere she went to teach, he’d follow her. He soon learned meat cutting.

In 1921-22 and early 1923, the couple lived in Shiloh, just below Oak Hill on A1A. A man had a meat business and Mr. and Mrs. Alderman worked for him. Mr. Alderman found a cooler the size being 6’ X 8’ – it held about 3 blocks of ice up in the top of it; that made a cooler to keep the meat in.

Mr. Alderman had a route he went on selling meat. He would deliver it as far as the New Smyrna Beach, as far over as Coronado, but was not allowed to go into the New Smyrna Beach incorporated area. He then went south through Oak Hill, all the way through the black section of town and all through Allenhurst and Shiloh.

O.D. and Mamie Alderman This is the mode of travel they used those days to visit friends and neighbors.

O.D. and Mamie Alderman
This is the mode of travel they used
those days to visit friends and neighbors.

He and Mrs. Alderman, along with the owner would prepare the meat by cutting it up for the next day’s route. They cut up and prepared it on Monday for Tuesday’s trip to sell, then on Thursday they did the same thing for Friday’s route. He also went to New Smyrna once a week and got a load of ice to deliver on the same route to help people keep their meats.

There were no refrigerators or freezers in those days, only iceboxes where you put ice in a top door.

Those that had one felt real lucky – a lot of people kept ice in a tub and covered it up with blankets or anything they had. They kept meat and anything perishable under blankets etc., by the ice.

The Aldermans tell that Mr. Alderman bought a #2 sausage mill, and her job was to grind the sausage while he and the owner prepared the other meats. Mrs. Alderman was preparing the sausage one day and she’d feed the machine the soft pork meat, but had to use beef, that was hardened a bit by putting it under the ice. One days he put pork in, then hardened beef and got her finger caught in the grinder and cut the side off of one of her fingers, making her have a very sore finger for a long time. Those living there then were the Pattilos, Taylors, Coons, Raymers and many more.

The couple lived in a house at Shiloh while they lived there. In 1923 and early 1924, they lived at the Snyder house during Prohibition. Those doing the smuggling then were Jean Robinson, Johnnie Vann and Alfred McDonald, along with a couple more.

The men would load them at night, carrying the liquors across the ridge to the shallow draft boats at the west edge. Only shallow draft boats were used. They would then unload at the place where the Smith Camp is now. These were liquors from Bimini, etc. They were loaded into five limousines and sped away.

After this, they went to the Coast Guard Station just opposite Oak Hill on the Atlantic Ocean.

Mr. Alderman said he had to use a boat to come to Oak Hill for supplies. He heard they needed a guard, so he went over there with Mrs. Alderman and three children. Mr. Alderman tells how he wouldn’t go outside if his wife wouldn’t go out with him; he was literally afraid of the dark!

The Coast Guard captain kept three very good logs – they were interesting to go through and read. The Commander had to tell in the logs the time of the tides, when low, when high and in what direction the winds were blowing, and when.

There was one boat the Captain had to go and take the passengers off of, and bring them ashore. There was also one boat that beached and tore completely up while they were there. They only stayed there three weeks. The Captain’s name was Elvin Coirtant.

On January 4, 1924, he heard that Mr. Mosby needed a butcher for the season- so near the end of season, for which Mr. Alderman didn’t work the first of the year – he worked under V.B. Baldwin Sr.’s supervision, as a butcher.

So the end of the season was near and he went to Mr. Mosby and said does my job end soon, but Mr. Mosby said no, you have the job as long as you want it.

Soon after that, Mr. Mosby sold the store to V.B. Baldwin Sr., but used the west side of the building where he built a room on. Mr. Mosby had a dry goods store and a real estate office where he sold real estate. A man came down from New York and he hired him to help out. Mr. Baldwin kept Mr. Alderman as the butcher for almost 19 years.

Mr. Alderman heard that the boat factory in Jacksonville needed help during World War II, so he left and he stayed 8 months only to return and start his own grocery and meat store. They kept it from 1955 to 1965.

The Aldermans lived at the Old Wright place west of town. It was in very bad need of repairs and they were ashamed to have anyone come to visit them.

The Aldermans say they had a bad experience by letting people buy on credit and lost of a lot of money, mostly because he couldn’t collect it. He says he was a poor collector.

They went into the bee business. The bee colonies were located around here and all surrounding areas. They had a group of hives at Lake Harney and while they were there one day, two men were near their hives and one said to the other, “Who is that woman with him?” One of the men told the other one, “Oh, she goes everywhere he goes.”

Mrs. Alderman would be the one that smoked the bees out of their hives, because the mister says they wouldn’t bite her, but ate him up, so he gathered the honey after she smoked them out.

One day he said, (and tells this very often, she says, and exaggerated on it also), he has never hit or slapped her, but this one day she couldn’t break the seal off of a hive and he goes over to help, so each one would take turns prying on the lid and he declared she hadn’t tried. It took several of their tries to loosen it, and on her past pry she finally broke the seal and her hand flew, slapping him, and he says he saw stars. Well, if he did or not he glories in telling this on her.

They had worked their bees for five years, and he had a heart attack. After his recovery, he invented a machine that made beehives.

He sold supplies to the beekeepers and got a good offer from a man from Georgia for his machine. So he set in to invent a better one, and sold it – after a while only to invent a third and better one.

He sold supplies and bee hives he made to people in Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Georgia and on south to Miami and over in the Tampa area.

They tell of meeting lots of very nice people, but from learning in the grocery business, to not let people charge and pay later.

One customer from Tampa told of his wife being very ill, and his heart went out to him upon his trip over the second time. He sold him forty dollars worth, only to never see him again.

In the beehive business the material went so high in price in the 1970s that he could not afford to hire outside help. Some of the grandchildren would work cheaper and that is the only way he could keep on making the beehives to sell.

Mr. Alderman had a heart attack after working five years into the bee business. When he got better, he went to try his hand at inventing the bee machine and did just that, so well he invented there of them.

The couple had eight children. The first being Naomi, born on October 9, 1919 and then Myla, Dewalt, Meta, Mary, Vincent, Don and Shirley. They have many descendants to carry on their lives. They both have failing health now and stay close to home. This is one couple that has really stuck to each other through the good times and bad, in sickness and in health.

The Aldermans still live in their house they built in 1926, their address being 186 Ridge Road. Mr. Alderman speaks of a little dog he had for years that rode on the hood of his car and went everywhere with him.

Page: 14