Samuel Harley Goodrich was the first son of A.Q. Goodrich. He was born April 22, 1885 in Oak Hill. He met Pearl Mae Chivers and they were married. Sam, as he was known, was a commercial fisherman until his death. Pearl was born June 15, 1899.

Sam walked from his home to the river, which was three miles, each day to go fishing. After fishing all night, he would walk back home. Sam didn’t have a big fine outboard motor or a half mile net. He had an 18-foot mullet skiff and a pair of 9-foot oars to row his net out, which was 400 yards long. He would row it overboard many times during the night and pick it up, picking out what fish threw ere each time – the average night was eight to ten times a night that he would put it out and take the net in.

He worked hard for his family, and never got downhearted when he didn’t make good that week. He just kept on going and hoping for the best for his family the next week

Mr. & Mrs. Captain Sam Goodrich

Mr. & Mrs. Captain Sam Goodrich

Sam and Pearl lived 2 to 2 ½ miles west of Oak Hill on a 5-acre scrub hill in n old 2-story frame building.

Pearl would get up every morning before daylight to fix breakfast for the children and get them off to school. She would cook more and more, as it seemed as the children kept coming. She never had a gas or electric stove to cook on, nor did she have a light switch to turn on. Their stove was a wood-burning stove and a kerosene lamp was the light so all could see and do their homework.

Pearl would bake four biscuits each so by the time all children had arrived, she had to bake 48 biscuits, and that was for each meal.

When she’d get their breakfast all ready they all recollect her saying, “All right, kids, it’s time to get up and eat your breakfasts and get ready for school.” The old wooden stove was also their heat for the winter.

Sam always brought home 12 fish at a time; it took that for one meal. Many times their meals were only fish and biscuits. There were five boys and four girls.

There were five children going to school at once so Pearl had to pack a big lunch for them. Their lunch was cold fish and biscuits in an eight-pound lard bucket, always carried by the oldest child. It was usually Aaron.

Pearl would be sure they had matches to light a fire so they could keep their feet warm. Seems the matches were more important than their lunches.

They didn’t have shoes and at lunch they didn’t have hot meals and milk like many did. At lunch time, They would all gather under a large oak tree and divide the lunch between them, feeling very proud because they knew that Daddy and Mama did the best they could.

They say they ate so many fish that it seemed they couldn’t get their shirts on for the bones.

Edward (Ted) remembers one week his Dad made a good week, they say as a fisherman would. He must have made $35.00 and that was good in those days. When Pearl, his Mom, got groceries, she thought she would be able to get a piece of steak and she did. It cost them about 18 to 20 cents a pound. When she got ready to cook it, it was gone. She looked and looked for her steak. “You see, I had never seen anything like that before and I thought it was some kind of fish that Dad brought home, so Mom found me with it trying to scale it out on the back porch.”

“My Dad never drove a car, he couldn’t afford one anyway. I may sound like bragging and maybe I am; my Dad was one of the best men that ever lived. He was honest and true and he fed his family with what he had.”

“Our first house burned when I was about 5 years old. We moved into a tin shed that had been used to store fertilizer for the groves. When I was about 9 or 10, this house burned and we were left with only the clothes we had on. Then we moved in a little house by the railroad tracks, which is now known as Brooke Circle.”

In about 3 years, Sam had a small frame house built about the same place their 2-story house had burned seven years earlier, so they moved in and very proudly.

Pearl Mae Goodrich and Family Celebrating her 85th birthday. Left to right: Top: Aaron, Jessie Mae Norris, Ted, Bottom: Helen Hall, Pearl Mae, and Edna Harris

Pearl Mae Goodrich and Family
Celebrating her 85th birthday. Left to right:
Top: Aaron, Jessie Mae Norris, Ted,
Bottom: Helen Hall, Pearl Mae, and Edna Harris

When the twins, Edward and Edna, were 14-years old, their mom took them to “Jim Putnam’s Store” and bought them their first pair of shoes, and oh, how proud they were. They had never had anything like that in all their young lives. This same store used to be the post office after Mr. Putnam moved his store, and now it is the Full Gospel Church. Edward went to school until he was 15, but left school to help his Dad fish, because he was getting older and the family was getting older and of course, eating more.

They all had a hard life, but looking back, they know that they did have a very loving mother and father. They always had and could depend on their love and help from each other in their family. They especially had the love of God and could always know He was there when they went to sleep at night.

Sam and Pearl raised a large family. He died February 14, 1954; all the rest are still living and are: Aaron Samuel, William Edward, Edna Louise (Harris), Jessie May (Norris), Lois Virginia (Patterson), Helen Laura (Watson), James Marshall, Robert Lee and Albert Wilson Goodrich.

The Goodrich family was one of the first settlers in Oak Hill. J.A. (Jeff) Goodrich, the fourth child of A.Q. and Annie G. Goodrich was born on Goodrich Hill in Oak Hill on July 19, 1894.

He went to school in a one-room house located on what is now known as Gaines Street. His teacher was Mrs. Fair. He often said you had better learn or else you would wish you had. If you were whipped at school, you always had a paddling waiting for you when you got home. One time, he knew when he left school he was going to get a paddling the next day, so the next day before going to school, he lined his pant legs and seat with newspaper. When Mrs. Fair hit him the first lick she said, “Oh! Papers!” and then he got a paddling twice as bad. One day in school, the students heard a horseless carriage coming down the street – the first one in town. “Everyone stay in your seats,” she said. But, that was impossible for those boys and girls. Everyone ran to the window to see what the new invention looked like.

Jeff’s dad taught him when he was growing up and he always remembered it. “You should have something growing while you are sleeping.” He planted his in orange groves, which stayed in his family until after his death.

Jeff often said when he was a young man that when a person made a deal, your word was your hand. You didn’t have to sign papers the way you do today. People trusted each other.

From early in his life, Jeff was a commercial fisherman. He would fish all night, come in and pack his fish. He would go home, sleep a little and then go back to the river to pick up his fish. He would take the fish to the depot, ship them to market, and then go back home for a little more sleep before starting over again. He was very industrious and always willing to lend a helping hand to anyone who needed it.

Later, he and his brother Clarence started the Goodrich Brothers Fish Company. They operated this together until they both retired. They also had a crab business for a while.

Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Goodrich

Mr. and Mrs. J.A. Goodrich

Jeff met his wife-to-be (Emma Mary Cochran) in Quay (now known as Winter Beach). They were married July 15, 1912. They had six children, four boys and two girls. Three of the children still live in Oak Hill and three have moved to Edgewater. Jeff and Emma were married almost 60 years when she passed away. Jeff lived at his home in Edgewater until his death November 16, 1978.

All his life, he taught his children not to lie or steal and to honor your parents and he always set the example for them.

The children living here are Evelyn Vann, Broward and Millard and the ones in Edgewater are Bertah Mae Ridgdill, Wilford and Cecil Goodrich.

Jeff and Emma left many descendants.

Goodrich Hill was on the road north of the beacon light, west of Oak Hill, where Annie had lots of groves.

Elmer R. Goodrich was born west of Oak Hill on what is now known as Goodrich Hill. He was born July 31, 1900 to A.A. Goodrich and Annie G. Goodrich. He was the youngest of six children. Elmer attended Oak Hill Public School, then in 1929, he married the former Aleathea Gilbert and they had two children, Alma Lopez and Vernon Goodrich.

Elmer made his home in Oak Hill all of his life except for two years that he lived in Port Orange. He worked for Southern Bell in Daytona at that time. Before that, he had commercially fished for his brothers for thirty-five years and then for himself for 5 years in this area. He quit fishing and for the last years of his life, worked for his son-in-law up until his death on October 8, 1957.

In the mid-1800s, four Goodrich brothers came to Oak Hill from Bradford County. They were Albert, Gus, Charlie and Mitchell. They settled on land 1½ miles northwest of Oak Hill, now known as Goodrich Hill. This place is north of the beacon light on Maytown Road.

Mr. and Mrs. Albert Goodrich had a son, Axon Quarterman (Ack) born 1857 and died in 1926; he was about 15 years old when they came here. Axon grew up and met a young lady, Annie Rebecca Wilson from Eulee, Florida of Nassau County. They were married by the Justice of the Peace, W.C. Howse. He lived about ½ mile north of Lopez Fish Camp on the west side on the river shore. He was the same Howse who had the first general store in Oak Hill.

Mr. and Mrs. A.Q. Goodrich

Mr. and Mrs. A.Q. Goodrich

Mr. and Mrs. A. Q. Goodrich had six children, four boys and two girls. Their names were Lula (Carrol), Sammie, Annie (McCall), Jeff, Clarence and Elmer.

Clarence Quarterman Sr. was born December 26, 1892 and at this writing he is 91 years old.

Clarence married Eula Mae Worth on April 17, 1924. They were married by Judge Tom Brooke at New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Eula Mae was born July 21, 1910 in Ocilla, Georgia, but came here from Newberry, Florida later.

Mr. and Mrs. C,Q. Goodrich Sr.

Mr. and Mrs. C,Q. Goodrich Sr.

Mr. and Mrs. C.Q. Goodrich had six children; the first one died at birth (a boy) and wasn’t given a name. The others are Clarence Q. Jr., Doris C. (Kirkland), Earl R., Ray W., and Jean E. (Cantrell).

Clarence Q. Goodrich Jr. Mayor of Oak Hill

Clarence Q. Goodrich Jr.
Mayor of Oak Hill

A cousin of the A.Q. Goodrich boys helped write the song entitled, “Florida-All-Hail”. S.E. Goodrich wrote the words and J.S. Duss wrote the music in 1935.

And when buried, they planted a tree at the head of the grave. There never was a marker, so we aren’t sure of the dates of death. He was buried in the Oak Hill Cemetery.

Page: 15